Congratulations all my readers having MCS. From 1 of July 2012 MCS will have its own health diagnose code in the Danish Health Care and Social Security System. A little step forward for you all.
From Dagens Medicin:
“Characteristic of severe cases is that patients describe general symptoms, which often limit them in daily life. Often they describe reactions to multiple chemical substances, such as. perfumed care – and cleaning products, evaporation from recent publications and new furniture and exhaust.
Diagnosis code for fragrance – Chemical Sensitivity will be labeled ‘symptoms related to scents and chemicals’ (DR688A1) and placed under the main category DR688A ‘Medical unexplained symptoms’ in Healthcare Classification System (SKS).
Diagnosis is subject to the following five criteria:
- Patients related symptoms commonly occurring scents and chemicals (eg. Evaporation from scented products, fresh print and new home furnishings).
- Symptoms from the central nervous system is mandatory, for example. headache, dizziness, difficulty concentrating and fatigue. Also occurs frequently symptoms from other organ systems, such as. respiratory tract disorders, musculoskeletal system, or the gastrointestinal tract.
- Symptoms improve or disappear when exposure is removed.
- The condition is chronic (> 6 months).
- Symptoms accompanied by significant lifestyle – or functional impairments, for example. loss of business, work and social network.”
Source: Dagens Medicin