Article from vf.se 2013-05-30
“Fragrance Sensitivity Over overturned life as she knew it
Freshly washed sheets. An expensive perfume. Cozy scented candles.
For Ingvor Näsmyr, just like most others, belonged to such a life’s joys. But last year she was diagnosed with sensory hyperreactivity – and everything was upside down.
– A trip to town and I will be lying in two days, she says.
For Ingvor Näsmyr it is deadly serious.
Since last year, when the problems escalated and she finally got her diagnosis, she has been put on all their habits and start thinking three steps ahead.
– Just to clean up the house took forever. One such thing as plastic things that one can not think spreading any particular smell, I can be completely floored by.
On the kitchen table is a little flower not spread any scent, otherwise the plastic flowers in the windows. The new clothes she buys, she washed a few times with chemical-free, odorless detergent before she can use them. All creams, soaps and other personal care products have been carefully selected to work.
And that’s just at home.
As soon Ingvor open the front door, she risks figuratively being knocked out by fragrance hitting her.
– There are so many things you never thought of before. Everything from a fire debris a block away to the washing and waxing the car. Riding a bus is a gamble. Standing in line at the store, I dare not any longer. You become so limited, almost isolated. But sometimes I am not able to be at home and the I go into town anyway.
The consequence? Almost certainly, she is lying in two days, with strong flu aches and extreme tiredness in the body.
Where then does the problem come from? Scientists are not completely agree, but the prevailing theory is that prolonged exposure to chemicals and strong odors increases the risk. Ingrid Näsmyr has worked in health care, and the final years at Ikea as a cleaner.
– It is clear that there are a lot of smells there. Furniture with flame repellants, customers that have perfume. It have not been able to work there, I have been full-time sick leave for six months now. At times it has been very hard, joy is the source of my lovely granddaughter Norah. Without her, I do not know how it would go.
What she wants is that ordinary people became aware of the disease. Ignorance is great, many are skeptical and do not understand the seriousness. Even at the health center staff may have fragrances that trigger reactions, says Ingvor.
– It would be so nice to just one day be able to walk around normally, without fear , says Ingvor Näsmyr”
Credits to vf.se
Read it in Swedish