Fresh air does not smell of fragrance

Frisk luft lukter ikke av parfyme.

Open letter to Norwegian Food Safety Authority


Food safety, air safety, delivery and cleaning

Today when I woke up and had my breakfast I remembered a thing that happened when I went shopping last summer, that in the next made me remember when I again was subjected to such an event just like this one. I have asthma and get breathing issues from chemicals as very many others.  That time at Christmas time I went  shopping potatoes at Kiwi and had a bad experience getting an asthma attack from a floor cleaning machine spreading its fumes around the store. The store stank from heavy chemicals and my asthma attack was acute from the content of these fumes. They were cleaning in opening hours and the food was not covered.


Joker store

Last summer at vacation time I went camping and came to Åna-Sira. Another nice little place along my journey. The shop was nice. It was that kind of little store that had about all you need. Vegetables and meat in a cooler room. Everything looked really in order. Unfortunately the lady working there decided to use the floor cleaner and polishing machine in there when I was there. I was looking for BBQ meat when she came in. First I did not see her since I stoud with my back to her, but when she started the machine it took only 4 seconds before I had an asthma attack there and then. I had to hurry out from there. I tried to put it all on the cashier desk, and I paid, but with struggle. I had struggle breathing, coughing and putting an item in the bag one at the time. When I started put it all into nets she came out to me and was upset. “- Oh, how come it took so short time for you to get sick?” she said. “- Such cleaners is bad for my health.” I said. Of course she could not know, but I told her to please not do that again when it is customers in the store since 25% of all people have asthma and it is a great chance the customers get sick from it. “- I can bag it for you and I will bring it to you.” she said. “- You go out and get some air.” she said. She was really nice. That was good service in middle of the whole mess. So when I stoud there by my trailer taking medicine she came with my shopping bags all the way to the car, checking I was fine and then went in again. Nice lady. :) I packed the food in the trailer and went after gotten well again.

This open letter blog entry is not about blaming any particular store, in both stores they were very good to me when this happend, but I want to bring forward some worries I have regarding cleaning in stores, air safety and food safety when doing cleaning in all stores in the country.

What you use to clean your store with is crusual to the customers.

What you use to clean your store with is crusual to the customers. I had to get my work safety mask to shop, that is terrible!

Such floor cleaning and polishing machines swirl the chemical filled damp around the store, it goes in the air when running and using the machine and the microscopic drops swirls around in the air ending in the lungs of the customers and workers there and also landing on the food not protected. Food that we shall buy and eat.

Not only do we need to eat healthy food not contaminated, but we also have to breathe clean fresh air to live and have a good health.

A friend of mine, Irene Holko Hansen, have have also spotted in their store Europallets stacked with food and greens at the bottom and cleaning agents on top of the food with leakage from the packages.

It is not only happening at grocery stores, it happens also at ferries, restaurants, (pharmacy air Nor, Swe) and so on.

I now wonder if there is any rules regarding covering food when cleaning, what is allowed to use to clean, cleaning in opening ours, to avoid such as I have mentioned here, and if there are some rules about how to stack and transport food and other things to avoid contamination of food from chemicals? Also there is a problem when chemical filled products are allowed to evaporate to the air in the isles in the store. Most stores have hugh isles with chemical filled products standing close to food, and one must pass to shop any other product, also asthma and allergy friendly products are stored at the same place of those our health can not tolerate. A person having for example asthma get sick from 0,02 PPM in the air, and having to enter an isle where fragrance and colored products is leaking gasses is also a health issue. Such should be put in a closed room and asthma and allergy safe products should be separated from it. And cleaning should be done with cleaning agents and products that do not contaminate air and food.


If there are no rules You must make some rules to better food safety, and air safety. And You must follow it up, it is not ok to get sick from lack of air safety and food contaminated with chemicals.

This general complaint is sent to The Norwegian Food Safety Authority and published on their Facebook page.

Do you want to sign this open letter and show your support? Please, write your name in a comment below. Scroll down until you find the commentary field. Your support signed will be visible to the Norwegian Food Safety Authority, and signatures are most welcome and needed. Of course you can sign both places, but remember to sign this page first.

Also read joining campain for equality:

Annelie Molin

Co-signed by: Irene Holko Hansen

link tip: Norwegian Food Safety Authority

Author: Annelie

I like canoeing, photographing, friends, movies, food, humor, and going on trips. I dislike rudeness, dishonesty, violence, nastyness, and people not caring for others. I do not drink much, I do not smoke and I do not do drugs. I love friends who are kind to me and stick with me. If you want to give me a gift, the best gift is to stop smoking and stop using fragranced products. Then you give me health and that dear friend, is the best gift a person can get. It is a gift of love. I got asthma and I am hearing disabled.

4 thoughts on “Open letter to Norwegian Food Safety Authority

  1. Hi Annelie, it would be great if stores could use fragrance free products with low VOCs. Some stores have too many cleaning products in the aisles. I don’t know how anyone can eat bread that has come from a supermarket: i can smell cleaning chemicals in it! We buy all our food from shops that don’t sell fragrances or cleaning products; and anything that comes from the supermarket has to get aired separately in another room because of the cleaning VOCS that take at least a week or two to fade away. All our fruit and veg comes from a greengrocer or the organic shop. I can’t go into a supermarket and if I do, I must go home and wash and air my clothes. It’s really good to see you blog about this. People need to know. Thank you :)


  2. Strongly scented detergents should not be mixed with foods. It often smells perfumed detergents packaging and also by the food you buy. It is both irresponsible and unhygienic. Often it stinks strong perfume throughout the store, as these substances fumes also transmitted over our clothes after having been inside the store. Such products that smells strongly of chemicals should not be transported, stored or be in the same room as foods.
    Thanks to Annelie to do something about this problem :)


  3. I strongly support the letter. Thank you for bringing this to light.

    Liked by 1 person

Please, leave a reply. / Legg igjen et svar. / Kommentera!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s