Food safety, air safety, delivery and cleaning
Today when I woke up and had my breakfast I remembered a thing that happened when I went shopping last summer, that in the next made me remember when I again was subjected to such an event just like this one. I have asthma and get breathing issues from chemicals as very many others. That time at Christmas time I went shopping potatoes at Kiwi and had a bad experience getting an asthma attack from a floor cleaning machine spreading its fumes around the store. The store stank from heavy chemicals and my asthma attack was acute from the content of these fumes. They were cleaning in opening hours and the food was not covered.
Last summer at vacation time I went camping and came to Åna-Sira. Another nice little place along my journey. The shop was nice. It was that kind of little store that had about all you need. Vegetables and meat in a cooler room. Everything looked really in order. Unfortunately the lady working there decided to use the floor cleaner and polishing machine in there when I was there. I was looking for BBQ meat when she came in. First I did not see her since I stoud with my back to her, but when she started the machine it took only 4 seconds before I had an asthma attack there and then. I had to hurry out from there. I tried to put it all on the cashier desk, and I paid, but with struggle. I had struggle breathing, coughing and putting an item in the bag one at the time. When I started put it all into nets she came out to me and was upset. “- Oh, how come it took so short time for you to get sick?” she said. “- Such cleaners is bad for my health.” I said. Of course she could not know, but I told her to please not do that again when it is customers in the store since 25% of all people have asthma and it is a great chance the customers get sick from it. “- I can bag it for you and I will bring it to you.” she said. “- You go out and get some air.” she said. She was really nice. That was good service in middle of the whole mess. So when I stoud there by my trailer taking medicine she came with my shopping bags all the way to the car, checking I was fine and then went in again. Nice lady. :) I packed the food in the trailer and went after gotten well again.
This open letter blog entry is not about blaming any particular store, in both stores they were very good to me when this happend, but I want to bring forward some worries I have regarding cleaning in stores, air safety and food safety when doing cleaning in all stores in the country.
Such floor cleaning and polishing machines swirl the chemical filled damp around the store, it goes in the air when running and using the machine and the microscopic drops swirls around in the air ending in the lungs of the customers and workers there and also landing on the food not protected. Food that we shall buy and eat.
Not only do we need to eat healthy food not contaminated, but we also have to breathe clean fresh air to live and have a good health.
A friend of mine, Irene Holko Hansen, have have also spotted in their store Europallets stacked with food and greens at the bottom and cleaning agents on top of the food with leakage from the packages.
I now wonder if there is any rules regarding covering food when cleaning, what is allowed to use to clean, cleaning in opening ours, to avoid such as I have mentioned here, and if there are some rules about how to stack and transport food and other things to avoid contamination of food from chemicals? Also there is a problem when chemical filled products are allowed to evaporate to the air in the isles in the store. Most stores have hugh isles with chemical filled products standing close to food, and one must pass to shop any other product, also asthma and allergy friendly products are stored at the same place of those our health can not tolerate. A person having for example asthma get sick from 0,02 PPM in the air, and having to enter an isle where fragrance and colored products is leaking gasses is also a health issue. Such should be put in a closed room and asthma and allergy safe products should be separated from it. And cleaning should be done with cleaning agents and products that do not contaminate air and food.
If there are no rules You must make some rules to better food safety, and air safety. And You must follow it up, it is not ok to get sick from lack of air safety and food contaminated with chemicals.
This general complaint is sent to The Norwegian Food Safety Authority and published on their Facebook page.
Do you want to sign this open letter and show your support? Please, write your name in a comment below. Scroll down until you find the commentary field. Your support signed will be visible to the Norwegian Food Safety Authority, and signatures are most welcome and needed. Of course you can sign both places, but remember to sign this page first.
Also read joining campain for equality: http://www.underskrift.no/vis.asp?Kampanje=5016
Co-signed by: Irene Holko Hansen
link tip: Norwegian Food Safety Authority