What to do?
You can actually make a huge difference for everyone having asthma so they become more healthy and get a better life. Yes You!
What is asthma?
How to recognize asthma?
I know this person
If you know the person, ask what the person can not tolerate, allergies and other stuff they get sick from. When a person have asthma even things they are not allergic to can make their airways kick back and make trouble in form of an asthma attack. When you know what the person get sick from keep this away from the person at all times. If it is something you use yourself. STOP! even if you think in your own mind that it must be a silly thing.
I do not know this person
Around you there are many people who have asthma. One count that about 20-25 % of the population in a country have asthma. Worldwide (numbers from 2011) 300 million people have asthma, in Europe (counting from 2014) approximately 30 million people have asthma, and it is estimated that around 2036 about 400 million people will have asthma worldwide (information from World Health Organization WHO, Ginasthma.com, and EFA). In Norway for example there is in 2015 about 5 million people. 20 % out of 5 million people (counting low) is 1 million people who have asthma (5.000.000 x 0,20 = 1.000.000). How many live in your country? Count how many ( x million people times 0,xx equals?) So you see out of the hundred of people you see around you about 20 of those have asthma. And that is if we count low with 20 %. That is 20 people! So what can you do for all of those?
The nature of asthma is like this:
A person can be allergic to different things that causes asthma attacks, and in addition there are substances that causes irritation to the airways in the lungs causing asthma attacks even if the person is not allergic to them. Asthma comes in 4 different levels from mild to severe. Asthma can be deadly. To live you must be able to breathe, and the nature of asthma is trouble breathing. Think about this when you travel in the room where the public have access, and also in your home if your friends or family have asthma.
Common triggers for asthma:
- Tobacco smoke
- Vaping – some but not all react to vaping
- Fragrance (both male and female scents) – both from the bottle and added to other products.
- Scented candles and candles
- Air fragrance, also known as signature scent
- Airfreshener – what you use to hide bad odor or to fragrance the room
- Animals – most common is fur and birds. But remember that it is not only the fur and the feathers that is source for the allergy, saliva and skin dandruff too.
- Food – most commonly known is nuts and peanuts and that is both the whole nut or added to food and oils. Nut allergy can be fatal both taken in and airborne. But even milk, egg, fish and other foods can give such reaction both by eating it and airborne.
- Exhaust from vehicles, both diesel and gasoline, and maybe others. Gas – actually most people have it bad from gas, but people with asthma have it even worse since they do not tolerate even smaller amounts.
- Gassing from stuff – it can be gas from filling petrol, diesel, oil, alcohols, solvents, new plastic, cleaning products, ammonia, among many other things.
- Dust of various kinds, not only house dust.
So how can you make the world better for a person having asthma to avoid the person get an asthma attack? It is actually rather easy.
- Do not smoke or vape around other people. Smoke outside away from entrances and ask before you light a cigarette or e-cigarette.
- Cut out the fragrance and fragranced products, only use fragrance free. The emissions, pollution, from fragrance and fragrance products cause asthma attacks. If you use fragrance and someone tells you to stay clear it is not to be rude it is to stay healthy. Take the hint and go fragrance free.
- Do not use incense, it pollutes the air. A sensitive person gets asthma attacks from it (even outdoors). If a person tells you not to use it, it is not to be rude, it is not to be against your religion, it is to stay healthy.
- Do not use candles and scented candles since they emit a lot of invisible chemicals to the air that triggers an asthma attack. And the smoke from putting them out is just as bad.
- Airfresheners, products giving away scent and signature scent for marketing is a big no! no! it goes under the same as Fragrance.
- Turn the engine off as soon as you have stopped the car.
- Think of fire smoke and other kinds of smoke, gas and off-gassing as pollution and keep such away from others. Ask before you do something that can emit to the air.
- Avoid if possible to bring animals where there are a lot of people. A rather big percent of the 20 % of the population is allergic. That also goes for your clothes if you have been around animals. Change your clothes to allergen free clothes and wash yourself.
- Flowers are lovely, unfortunately many is allergic, so if possible try to keep the flowers packed in during transport home. And if you are going to give someone flowers, ask if they are allergic to it before buying it. Maybe something else is a better gift?
- Dust and dirty – Keep the place clean from dust, but use as less chemicals as possible to get as clean air as possible. Cleaning and washing agents goes under the same as fragrance products, it causes asthma attacks. Go fragrance free here!
- Pollen, yes it is a natural thing and not your fault. What you can do is to think of all that is allergic to it, do not brush or dust it off indoors, and if someone tells you to hand your coat outside it is not to be rude it is to stay healthy.
- Food – Avoid eating where other people travel the society. Of cource you can eat in a restaurant or a cafe’, but avoid eating other places. Rather many get sick from airborne food emits, and when you eat you might get it on handles, seating, doors and so on, and the next one get it on their hands and then in their mouth for example (grown and children).
Remember that things that emits and evaporates to the air can be for sensitive people as pollution regardless of the smell. It is not the smell that hurts it is what is in the smell. We are constructed to breathe air, nothing else. If someone tells you – No!, it is not to be rude, it is to stay healthy. Avoid to have things that evaporate and emits to the air where the public is. Make the air as fresh as possible without additives, additives that is for all of us sensitive nothing more than pollution. Maybe it is a new way of thinking for you, but regardless what you think of it, it is all sensitive persons reality. If you adopt the way of thinking you can make the air cleaner and fresher for us all to breathe. In that way you can help us stay healthy. In polluted air we get sick, in fresh air we are healty. It is that simple. Have a nice day. / Annelie